Are you looking for luxury, leisure, pleasure and a bit of adrenaline?
You get those, as well as a lot of fresh air, open space, excellent food and top-class service, together with near certain views of the Big 5 and other rare and beautiful animals in one of the extraordinary and wonderful private reserves in almost any part of South Africa.
Private reserves offer all the thrills of the safari with the added benefits that:
- The accommodation ranges from wonderful luxury to absolutely top of the world class range;
- Catering is superb;
- The guides generally know more or less where to find what you are hoping to see, and although there is never a guarantee of seeing exactly what you want to (these are not zoos after all!) there is a great chance that you will have the best wildlife sightings.
There are so many great options out there that finding the best one for you is like spotting a cheetah in the long grass.
Whether it is your honeymoon you are thinking about or a family holiday; whether you want to be in the desert or the dense bush, whether you want to spend your whole holiday there or to combine with a beach holiday or a visit to Cape Town, we can advise and arrange the safari holiday of your dreams. We lived in South Africa for more than 50 years and we know what is on offer and where to find it and how to get you there in safety and comfort. All this and the security of booking through a UK travel agent with full ABTA protection and a local consultant always available to help you.
To start planning your perfect bush break, contact us now!
Luxury Safari Experiences
In all the game rich parts of South Africa private land owners and lovers of the natural environment have added to the land areas protected by the public sector. Not endowed with taxpayer funds, they have to rely entirely on the income that they can generate from tourism to cover the costs of conservation. As a result they are fiercely competitive to win the patronage of tourists and holiday makers.
- Top quality accommodation in imaginatively designed lodges or luxury tents with luxurious furniture and finishes.
- In many cases, private decks and plunge pools.
- Outstanding catering usually prepared on site by excellent chefs using top quality local produce.
- Game viewing experiences organised by highly trained expert rangers and guides. With fewer restrictions on where their vehicles can go and excellent communications between guides, they can usually be relied on to provide exciting game viewings on every outing.
- Service and experiences specifically tailored to each holiday maker or group, which allows flexibility to make sure that when there are children in a group the interests of the children are appropriately taken into account.
With a range of activities from game drives in open safari vehicles to guided bush walks, horse rides and in a couple of cases even elephant rides, the range of alternatives is phenomenal!
With such a wealth of choice there are far too many options to list, but a few of the prime reserves are listed below. In most reserves there are several different accommodation options.
Best for Families
In most of the private reserves there are specially child friendly options. Some of the best are:
- Shamwari, in the Eastern Cape, where there is no worry about malaria and the lovely Riverdene Lodge is particularly suited to children, being fully fenced and offering specialist children's activities.
- Kariega, also free of malaria and also in the Eastern Cape, offers a wide range of activities and is close to the beach if the children want a change.
- Phinda Private Game Reserve in KwaZulu Natal takes special pride in catering for multi-generational holidays and for children in particular.
Best for Couples
There can be few more romantic holidays than a getaway in the South African bush. Most of the lodges offer extraordinary levels of luxury and privacy, with suites or safari tents providing lavish amounts of private space. Many offer private dining in the suites or on private decks.
- Londolozi, in the Sabi Sands reserve (outside the Kruger Park) has a special honeymoon vehicle in which honeymooners are taken on private game drives.
- Tinstwalo Safari Lodge in Manyeleti (also bordering the Kruger) makes couples feel very special, with options like special dinners in the bush available.
Why not combine a game viewing safari with a beach holiday in South Africa or the Indian Ocean islands?
The Wagtail Wow!
We have spent wonderful times at Shamwari, where we knew the original owner who established the reserve, so it's a favourite of ours!
Phinda is magnificent because we specially love cheetah and the small antelope that you find there - suni and red duiker.
But for us there is nothing to beat the lowveld experience. Sabi Sands, Manyateli and Timbavati are simply in one of the best places on earth.
Contact us to discuss which option would work best for you!