Glorious Garden Route Holidays
Are you looking for a real taste of South Africa – its extraordinary diversity, its magnificent scenery and its laid-back vibe? The place to look is the Garden Route between Cape Town and Port Elizabeth
Knysna, the heart of the Garden Route, was our home for 20 years, so we know every inch of it. There is no one better placed to help you put together your Garden Route trip. And, as a UK company, we give you full ABTA and ATOL protection, as well as our local knowledge.
Whether you want a self drive holiday or a group or private tour, whether you have three days to spend or three weeks, whether it is a beach holiday you want or a golf holiday, we can help you plan exactly the holiday that you hope for.
Contact us today to get started on your Garden Route experience!
The Glories of the GARDEN ROUTE
With such an unbelievable range of different eco-systems, activities and scenic splendours, it is no wonder that the garden Route is one of South Africa’s top international destinations.
If it’s whales you want to see, Hermanus is the place to go! Tucked away, between Cape Town and Cape Agulhus, the southern tip of Africa, this perfect holiday town also offers fantastic wines, wonderful walks and, for anyone who wants to swim or sunbathe, a sheltered little beach.
The agricultural centre of a a huge area of rolling farmland, the historic town of Swellendam nestles under the Langeberg Mountains.
You don’t know you’re an ostrich lover until you’ve been to Oudtshoorn! This town was built almost entirely on the economic base of these extraordinary birds. Also nestling under the majestic Swartberg mountains are the Cango Caves, a must for those who love caves.
The jewel of the Garden Route sits beside the Knysna Lagoon, the most environmentally important estuarine area in South Africa, marked by the magnificent Knysna Heads. Around it are thousands of acres of ancient Afro-montane forests, the home of magnificent hardwood trees that have been used for furniture making for hundreds of years.
There is so much to do in Knysna....
- Take a boat trip on the Lagoon
- Take a deep sea trip out through the Heads to watch whales or to do some fishing
- Play a round of golf at Pezula or Simola or the Knysna Golf Club
- Take any one of many beautiful walks or longer hiking trips through the Knysna Forest
- Ride a mountain bike through the forest
- Paddle a kayak up the Knysna River
- Visit the beach at Knoetzie or at Brenton on Sea
- Surf or swim in the wonderful waves at Buffalo Bay
- walk for miles on the beaches either side of Buffalo Bay
- Take a township tour of the Knysna townships
- Visit one of Knysna's fabulous restaurants
- On a Saturday morning go to the Wild Oats Market in nearby Sedgefield
- Go paragliding in Sedgefield
A little further east along the coast is the summer holiday playground of South Africa’s jetset. Plettenberg Bay boasts glorious beaches, superb restaurants, diving, fishing and whale watching. As well as all this, Plettenberg Bay has several exciting animal sanctuaries:
- The Knysna Elephant Park
- Monkeyland and Birds of Eden
- Radical Raptors
- The Wolf Sanctuary
At the far end of the Garden Route is Port Elizabeth, in the Nelson Mandela Bay Metropolitan Area, affectionately known as the windy city. With great beaches and superb access to nature reserves in the beautiful Eastern Cape this is an excellent base for a variety of holidays.
Many famous golf courses designed and used by golfing legends, such as Goose Valley, where the all-time great Gary Player has a property, Pinnacle Point, developed by Ernie Else, Fancourt, Pezula and Simola are situated along the Garden Route.
Jeffry’s Bay is believed by many to be the best break in South Africa, but it’s not alone on the Garden Route. Seal Point, the Wild Side at Buffalo Bay, Victoria Bay and Mossel Bay all rock the surfers’ world. If it’s just the beach you are after there are plenty of quieter beaches too.
BEST FOR FAMILIES
- The Buffalo Bay Beach is one of the safest beaches you could hope to find, with wonderful warm water and plenty of space; walk for 5kms along the beach to Brenton.
- Take the paddlesteamer accross the Knysna Lagoon to Featherbed nature Reserve, go on a trailer ride to see the magnificent views and have a short walk back and a light meal. The children will have plenty to see and do.
- The Cango Wildlife Ranch and the Safari Ostrich Farm in Oudtshoorn can keep the kids entertained for hours.
- Kurland Hotel takes special trouble to ensure that its youngest visitors are well looked after.
BEST FOR COUPLES
The Garden Route is full of romantic getaways, exquisite restaurants and beautiful places. There are dozens of wedding venues and it is a haven for honeymooners. Some of the best get-aways for couples are
- Emily Moon, for luxury suites and the fantastic restaurant,
- Tsala Treetop Lodge
- Tuiniqua Treetops.
THE WAGTAIL WOW
- Walk the beach from Sedgefield to Buffalo Bay when the tide is going out! Miles and miles of beautiful white sand and hardly another person to be seen!
- Spend a night or have a meal at Emily Moon River Lodge outside Plettenberg Bay, our personal favourite!
- Do a horse safari on the Hopewell Conservation Estate, a pristine nature conservation area within the Nelson Mandela Bay Metropolitan Area.
Contact us now to work out how to make the best use of your time in the Garden Route!