Hiking is a favourite pastime in South Africa and there are innumerable options, from short walks or day hikes (up Table Mountain for instance), to multi day trails.
- The Otter Trail on the Garden Route is one of the best known long trails, but there are dozens throughout the country.
- The mountains of the Cape Peninsula and the Cape Winelands are full of shorter or longer hikes.
- The whole of the Drakensberg range is wonderful for hiking from the southern end around Hog's Back in the Eastern Cape, through KwaZulu Natal, which is the best known area, to the Blyde River Canyon in Mpumalanga.
- The Magaliesberg near Pretoria is another favourite hiking destination.
And South Africa is not the only hiking destination.
- Namibia has great hiking opportunities, notably the Fish River Canyon.
- Malawi is wonderful for hiking.
- Tanzania offers the greatest African hike - up Kilimanjaro.
- Kenya has wonderful hiking, including the other truly epic mountain hike in Africa: Mount Kenya
- Hiking is one of the great attractions of Reunion, where the cirques (craters of old volcanoes) offer glorious hikes.
- Madagascar also has great hikes.
Whether you want to include time for a walk in your city break and want advice about where to walk; or whether you want to make sure that your beach holiday will be in a place that offers great walks, or whether you want to plan and book some short hikes into your holiday; or whether you want to book a hiking holiday, either carrying your luggage or having it carried, we have you covered.
Contact us and we will plan your epic hiking holiday for you or include some hikes in any other holiday!
Cycling is increasingly popular, specially in South Africa.
There are wonderful options both for road riding and for mountain biking.
There are many roads in South Africa that are in excellent condition and have wide shoulders, so touring by bicycle is quite possible and we can put together an itinerary for you. It is true, though, that the distances between towns tend to be much longer than in the UK and, though there is much less traffic, the drivers are less conscious of cyclists than in the UK. Most of the small roads are unpaved.
There are lots of great options for mountain biking in the beautiful mountain scenery around Cape Town, in the Garden Route, the Drakensberg, specially in KwaZulu Natal and in the Magaliesberg near Pretoria.
There are excellent organised tours, either with bikes provided or using your own, and we can easily arrange these for you.
Cycling is also a good option in several other places, notably Kenya, Reunion and Madagascar. There are great cycling options in Zanzibar also.
Do not be put off by the challenge of getting your bike to wherever it is you want to ride, this is not as difficult or expensive as you might think.
Enquire now and we will get back to you for a no-obligation chat about your epic cycling holiday!
Can you imagine riding a horse for miles along an empty beach? Or riding through pristine natural bush looking for wild animals?
Either is possible. And another option is pony trekking in the magnificent Drakensberg Mountains in KwaZulu Natal or neighbouring Lesotho.
Horse riding, including riding on beaches, can be arranged in many parts of South Africa and there is a particularly exciting option in Mozambique.
Horseback safaris are also provided in the beautiful Hopewell Conservation Area in port Elizabeth on the Garden Route, and in many of South Africa's private nature reserves.
Botswana, Zambia and Kenya also offer horseback safari options.
Whether we work directly with the nature reserves or with specialist horseback safari tour operators, we can assure you of completely independent advice, ABTA and ATOL secured bookings, and maximum flexibility.
Contact us now for a chat and let us see what we can come up with for your epic equestrian holiday!